Wednesday 23 May 2012

Declan's "Question of the Day"

Now, anyone who's ever met Declan knows that Declan has a comment, question or concern about everything.  And I mean everything.  Some things are easily answered.  Others not so much.

So this morning, as we are getting ready to leave, he is chattering away.  It's 6:40am.  I don't do mornings.  My brain is not necessarily fully functional until I've been up a couple of hours.  Most people who know me know that it's not in their best interest to talk to me that early in the morning.  But Declan does not care.  Declan doesn't care if you're listening or not - he will talk away anyway.

So as I'm getting into the car, he comes around the back of the car to his door.  With no preamble, he says "Mommy, are people meat?"

Wait...what?!  Are...people?  Meat?  What?

I stuttered a moment and then said "get in the car."

So after my brain kicked in, I was kind of glad that I hadn't answered the question.  Why?

Well, here's the thing.  If you say "yes" then he will - knowing this child - say "well then why don't people eat people?"  And you can't say that people don't eat people, because there are tribes in the South Pacific that still practice cannibalism.  They may be few and far between, but to say that it doesn't happen would be to lie. So do I lie to the child?

And if you say "no" then also knowing this child he will ask "why not?"  and beyond "it's gross" I really don't have an answer for it.

So instead I told him to get into the car where he changed the subject all on his own.

But I did come to find out that this is partially S's fault.  Why, you ask?  Well apparently they were watching Star Wars Episode IV the other night, and there was something about Luke Skywalker being hung up on a meat hook.  S told Declan he was being considered as "dinner."

So - are people meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment